It was built in the thirteenth century, incorporating the most ancient church of St. Matthew, of which have news
It was completely transformed at the end of the eighteenth century (1796), designed by the architect Andrea Vici, pupil of Piermarini. The work was completed only half of the nineteenth. Reopened for worship on June 8 1856, The church was completed in 1886, which the present facade
, designed by engineer John Bertuzzi. The church, Today the shrine of Blessed Angela Foligno
, for centuries has served as the home of the Minor Conventual, who still officiate.
Theinternal, neoclassical, guards the urns containing the bodies of the blessed of the blessed Angela and Angelina Montegiove.
Worthy of mention is the Chapel of St. Matthew, which presents numerous frescoes, Giordana Benazzi defined by "the most conspicuous group of paintings of the first three hundred existing in the city". Starting from the left side you see two apostles, seraphim (fragments), figures of bystanders (fragment), two holy deacons (fragment), angelo frame within poly-lobed, two Franciscan saints, Crucifixion, holy bishop. In the room next, communicating with the chapel, others later frescoes, with Ecstasy of a saint; St. Catherine; Way to Calvary; San Sebastian and San Rocco; with a small loop Mystic Marriage of St. Catherine, AnnouncedAssociation (fragment), St. Peter's.
is the wooden statue-reliquary of the Blessed Angela (Sixteenth century) and inserted into a monumental stone structure a Vision of St. Bonaventure
Anton Maria clear, coming from the high altar of the Oratory of the Banner.
Within the convent, St. Joseph of Cupertino and San Pasquale Baylon, Foligno work of Enrico Mattei; Madonna and Child with Saints Anne, Anthony of Padua, Francis, Clare, Elizabeth of Hungary, Flag of Perugia Benedict, and some paintings from different eras depicting the Blessed Angela, among which is noteworthy in oil on masonite, of 1932 that., by Hugh Scaramucci.
Above the gateway to cloister, was placed in a lunette frescoed by Pierantonio Mezzastris in 1499, Madonna and Child with Saints, removed and preserved in the Museum of the City.
The current layout of the cloister dates from the seventeenth century. On the left wall from the entrance are visible architectural elements belonging to the medieval structure of the church, while the right one some tombstones.
With the recent restoration of the lunettes, painted in 1688, have emerged, along with illustrated scenes, numerous coats of arms of noble families, related to the patronage of the church altars, right of burial, acquisition of other merits, almost all families residing in the parish church from the seventeenth to nineteenth century.
|Piazza San Francesco 8 – , 06034 FOLIGNO (PG)
Disabled people arriving by car can park in front of the Church, where there are parking spaces reserved. To access the entrance there are three ramps; the steepest cm in length 120 and a slope of 16% about. The interior is accessible, except for access to the chapel of St. Matthew has a step with a shrug of cm 20. The toilet reserved for persons with disabilities is located in the cloister adjoining the church.
Accessibility tab of San Chisa Francesaco
View Larger Map